Kumbhalgarh - A Lost Glory
Kumbhalgarh is an interesting place to visit in the Rajsamand district of Rajasthan. It is around 101 km from the famous city of Udaipur. It's major attractions are Kumbhalgarh fort and Kumbhalgarh wildlife sanctuary. Ideal for a short visit, its suprisingly green all the year round and you have great views of the Arravali hills. Built on the Arravali range, it is a UNESCO world heritage site.
- Kumbhalgarh fort was built by the great Rajput warrior of Mewar region,Maharana Kumbha.
- It is the birth place of Maharana Pratap
- Owing to its wondeful design it remained impregnable except once
Go there for
- A do nothing holiday - there is not much to do in Kumbhalgarh, so if you are looking for a quick weekend getaway or a place to relax after your been there done that Rajasthan trip, this could be the place.
- Flora and fauna - it is quite green, which comes as a surprise in the otherwise dry state of Rajasthan.
- Kumbhalgarh fort has a peripheral wall of 36 km. It is the second largest wall in the world after the great wall of China.
- Trek to the top of the fort
- Walk along the wall for some great views
- Sound and light show held at the fort
- Forest safari in Kumbhalgarh wildlife sanctuary
Being a small place there are not many options except small dhabha's around., so the best option would be to eat at your hotel restaurant or nearby hotels.
Excursions from Kumbhalgarh
- Rajsamand - a huge manmade lake
- Ranakpur - for the famous Jain temples
- Nathdwara - one of the most reverred Krishna temple
- Haldighati - famous for the battle that took place here between Maharana Pratap and the armed forces of Akbar
Hot Properties for Stay
- Aodhi hotel
- Club Mahindra Fort Kumbhalgarh
- Fateh Safari Lodge
- Kumbhalgarh Safari Camp
How to connect to your itinerary
Kumbhalgarh is located such that it can be easily accessible from major tourist cities from Rajasthan as well as some places in Gujrat ( being in close proximity to the Gujrat border). The major connections could be:
Udaipur - Kumbhalgarh
Jaipur - Kumbhalgarh
Pushkar - Kumbhalgarh
Ahmedabad - Kumbhalgarh